Tell us what you think about our site...

Supporting Evidence

If you are claiming Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance (income based) or Pension Credit, and you have notified the Department of Work and Pensions that you wish to claim Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction, they will inform us.

If you rent your home we will need you to provide your tenancy agreement.

If you are not claiming Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance (income-based), or are not in receipt of pension credits you need to apply directly to us.

What you need to provide

To enable us to assess your claim you must provide:

  • All National Insurance numbers of those adults in your family along with proof that the number is theirs,
  • original proof of identity (Driving Licence, passport), and
  • original proof of all your income & savings (bank statements, pay slips, DWP award letters).

Full details of the type of evidence that is acceptable is stated on the claim form and is also available from the benefit section.

If applicable you will also have to provide:

  • proof of rent
  • proof of earnings
  • proof of income (this may be Contribution based Job Seekers Allowance,Incapacity Benefit or Employment Support Allowance).


If you are married or living with someone as if you are married to them, you only need to fill in one claim form. You must however provide your partner’s National Insurance number, proof that the number is theirs and proof of their identity. We will need to know about the money you both have.


We need to see proof of child benefit for all children you receive child benefit for that live with you. If you have any non dependents living with you we also need proof of their wages or benefits they receive.

Proof of Rent

If you rent your home you need to send us proof of how much rent you pay and what, if any, services are included. Services include things like heating, water rates and meals.

If you have a tenancy agreement, we will need to see it. If you do not have a tenancy agreement contact us and we can send your Landlord a letter asking them to confirm your rent.

Benefit can not normally be paid for any time before you move into a new home. If you take on a tenancy but can’t move in straight away, you should ring the Housing Benefit section for advice.

Proof of earnings

You must send proof of the money you earn so we can work out your benefit.

If you work for an employer, please send in the following:

  • Your last 5 payslips if you are paid weekly
  • Your last 2 payslips if you are paid monthly
  • Your payslips should show cumulative totals of Gross Pay, National Insurance Contributions and Income Tax paid, and be the most recent payslips received.

If you cannot do this, please contact us and we can send you a form to ask your employer to complete a certificate of earnings. If you have more than one job you must send in proof of wages or a certificate of earnings for each job you have.

If you have just started work, send the completed application form back straight away with a note saying when you will send in proof of earnings.

Further information is available for those who are self-employed: Please contact us and we will send you a form if you don't have self-employed accounts.

Important note

Do not delay in sending in your claim form even if any of the proof we ask for is not available at the moment - you could lose benefit. However, you must send the information as soon as possible. We cannot work out your benefit without it.

You may apply for backdated benefit to allow you to claim from an earlier date, if you can show that you had a good reason for not claiming earlier:

If you have any further queries, please contact us.