Students & Benefits
If you are a full time student, you can only claim housing benefit if you are:
- Looking after a child or young person, i.e. receiving child benefit for them
- Aged 60 or over
- Disabled and in receipt of disability benefits
- Receiving Income Support
- Aged under 19 in further education up to A level standard
- Waiting to return to your course after illness or after having had to care for someone.
- Responsible for a foster child
All part time students can claim Housing Benefit. Details and proof of your grant, parent’s contributions and other income are needed to work out what benefit you may be entitled to.
Students’ partners who are not students themselves may claim benefit for the couple.
Students are normally exempt from the payment of Council Tax and therefore will not be entitled to Council Tax Reduction.
For further information contact us.