Council Tax Discounts
A discount of 25% of the full tax is available if there is only one adult (person aged 18 and over) living in the property (as their main home), or if other adults living in the property are 'disregarded' for council tax purposes.
An adult is 'disregarded' for council tax purposes if they fall into one of the following groups.
- Persons in prison
- The severely mentally impaired
- School or college leavers under 19
- Full time students
- Student nurses
- Youth training trainees
- Hospital patients
- Care workers
- Residents of hostels for the homeless or night shelters.
- Members of religious communities
- Members (and dependants) of visiting forces
- Non-British spouses of students
- Persons with diplomatic privilege
- Carers. This applies if the carer is looking after someone who is in receipt of benefits which include the higher rate componant of Disability Livling Allowance or higher rate Attendance Allowance and the person they care for is not their spouse, parter or child under 18. They must also care for that person for at least 35 hours per week on average.
You may be required to provide evidence to support your claim for a Discount, and you MUST inform us if you have a change in your circumstances, which will effect the discount.
Discounts for Empty Properties
Locally Defined Discounts for certain empty properties
The Council Tax (Prescribed Classes of Dwellings) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2012
If your property is now empty and unfurnished, you can apply for a 100% discount for a maximum period of 28 days.
Call 01462 474000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Fraudulent claims for discounts
If you are aware of someone who is fraudulently claiming a Discount, please contact our Fraud Helpline on 01462 474466 between 9am and 5pm or 01462 474289 outside of office hours.
Your call will be treated in strictest confidence - or you can leave the information anonymously.