Tell us what you think about our site...

Food Premises Registration

Licence summary

To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises you need to be registered with the local authority where the premises is located. Premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans and food delivery vans.

Eugo Logo

Some manufacturers handling products of animal origin may need to be approved by the local authority or the Meat Hygiene Service, rather than registered. If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered, please contact the Council’s Environmental Health Commercial Team using the contact details below.

Regulation Summary

A Summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Apply online

Apply for registration of a food business

Apply by post or email

Please complete this food registration form and post or email us.

Food Registration Form (41.09KB) This document is a PDF file and will open in a new window. You will need Adobe Reader to view it.

What does it cost?

There is no fee for this application.

What happens to the information given on the form?

We will enter the details of your food business on our register. A register of addresses and the type of business carried out at each will be open to inspection by the general public. Records of the other information provided will not be publicly available.

What happens next?

We aim to acknowledge your application within 3 working days.

There is no statutory period for determining applications, however we aim to determine applications within 28 days.

You will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of this 28 day target completion period.

What happens if something changes?

Once you have registered with the Council you only need to notify us of a change of proprietor, if the nature of the business changes, or if there is a change of the address where moveable premises are kept. The new proprietor will have to complete an application form. You can use the link below or complete a new form to advise us about your change.

If the local authority wishes to change the entry in the register because of information which it receives from someone else you will be given 28 days notice and an opportunity to comment on the proposed change.

These notes are provided for information only and should not be regarded as a complete statement of the law.

Tell us about a change to your existing food business

More information about the Council’s public register of food premises

Applicant/Licence Holder Redress

If you are unhappy about the way that we have dealt with your application, the Council has a formal mechanism for dealing with such issues. Please see our website Comments, Compliments & Complaints or call our Customer Service Team on 01462 474000.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

North Hertfordshire District Council contact details

Details of how to contact the team can be found on the Housing & Public Protection contact page.

Other useful contacts

Chilled Food Association

National Federation of Meat and Food Traders

Food Standards Agency