Corporate Enforcement Policy
Local Councils enforce legislation to protect individuals and the community as a whole. North Hertfordshire District Council carries out a wide range of activities with the aim of achieving this and to achieve compliance with legislation by responsible individuals and businesses. The purpose of this policy is to publicly summarise the Council's enforcement policies, which it has adopted to seek such compliance. It is ultimately the responsibility of individuals and businesses to comply with the law.
The policy is an "umbrella" policy intended to apply to all relevant Council service areas, though it should be noted that various additional service-specific requirements apply to specific enforcement activities in certain services,i.eg. health & safety, food safety, private sector housing standards.
Enforcement actions undertaken by this Council are taken within the context of a legal and policy framework. The Council undertakes a number of regulatory activities and these duties will be carried out with due regard to the Enforcement Concordat. This Concordat arises from a central government initiative and was adopted by this Council in March 2001. The Concordat is based on the following 5 guiding principles of good enforcement:
- Publishing clear standards, setting out the level of service and performance that the public and businesses can expect to receive
- Dealing with the public and the business in an open an honest way.
- Providing a courteous, efficient and helpful service.
- Responding promptly and positively to complaints about the service.
- Ensuring that enforcement action is proportionate to the risks to the public.
- Carrying out duties in a fair, equitable and consistent manner.
The Council would very much like to receive your views on this policy and any ideas you may have for its improvement. Please forward your comments and suggestions to:
Service at North Herts
Letchworth Garden City
Telephone: 01462 474000
Specific enforcement policies are published on our website or can be provided by the relevant service directly. Complaints concerning the application of this enforcement policy are dealt with in accordance with the Council’s customer complaints procedure. Details of the procedure are available from Customer Services