Tell us what you think about our site...

Applying for or changing an environmental permit

Eugo Logo

Regulation Summary

The primary legislation dealing with environmental permitting (EP) is the Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999.

The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010 set out the detailed legal requirements relating to the EP regime.

An overview of the legal requirements.

Eligibility Criteria

If an industrial process is required by law to have a Part A (2) or B permit in place, the operating company must make a formal application to North Hertfordshire District Council. The application must contain detailed information on exactly what will be undertaken at the site and the effects it may have on air quality and must be accompanied by the relevant fee.

Applications must be made on the form that we have provided below or online and must include specified information which will vary depending on the operation.

If further information is required, we will notify you and you must provide this information or the application will be deemed to be withdrawn

The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility.

For waste operations, no licence will be granted unless any required planning permission had first been granted.

Apply online for an environmental permit Part A2

Apply online for an environmental permit Part B

To make an application by post, please contact the Environmental Protection Team for an application form and then return this to us with the appropriate fee and any supporting documentation.

What does it cost?

Fees for environmental permits are set by the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.

What happens next?

We aim to acknowledge your application within 3 working days.

We will consider your application and, if appropriate, may arrange to visit your premises.

The Council will pay regard to the protection of the environment taken as a whole by, in particular, preventing or, where that is not practicable, reducing emissions into the air, water and land.

New applications may have to be advertised in the local press for public consultation and other government bodies such as the Environment Agency or Natural England may be consulted.

It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a 105 calendar days, please contact us online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or using the contact details below.

What happens if something changes?

If you make any changes to your business that relate to this permit, you need to tell us so that we can consider if changes to the permit  are required.

Tell us about a change to your existing Environmental Permit

Make a subsistence payment

Permit holders are required to make an annual subsistence payment to cover the cost of the regulatory activity. Making this payment.

List of installations that the Council has issued permits for.

Applicant/Permit holder redress

If you are unhappy with the way that we have dealt with your application, you have a number of options:

  • You can contact us to discuss your concerns and we will try to resolve the issues informally
  • The Council has a formal mechanism for dealing with such issues. Please see our website Comments, Compliments & Complaints or call our Customer Service Team on 01462 474000.
  • If you application has been refused or you are unhappy with conditions that have been imposed, you can appeal to the Secretary of State. You must do so within six months of the decision that we have taken.

Environmental permitting is dealt with by the Council’s Environmental Protection Team.

Tel: 01462 474000

Trade Associations

Federation of Environmental Trade Associations (FETA)

Environmental Industries Commission (EIC)

Environmental Services Associations (ESA)

More information

Environment Agency

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs