Tell us what you think about our site...

Making a Planning Appeal

Appeals Process

If you seek consent or permission to carry out particular works to your property (such as building an extension) and your application:

  • is not decided within a set period, or
  • the local authority refuses your application or grants it on conditions you disagree with

you usually have the right of an appeal.

The appeal will be made to the Secretary of State in England or, for applications relating to land or property in Wales, to the National Assembly for Wales. The Planning Inspectorate administers these appeals.

Only the applicant for consent or permission can make an appeal.  Please note that there is no right of appeal for interested people or organisations (known as ‘third parties’) in England and Wales.

Householder Appeal Service

The Householder Appeal Service is an accelerated procedure for householder appeals which will proceed on the basis of written representations.

The Householder Appeal Service is only suitable for appeals against refusal of planning permission for householder applications.

Where the Householder Appeal Service is used the appeal time limit is 12 weeks. For all other applications, the time limit to appeal is 6 months.  

The Planning Portal provides detailed guidance on how to submit an appeal and how to search for an existing appeal.  

planning portal logo