District Local Plan No.2 With Alterations
Since 1996, the district's planning policies have been contained in the District Local Plan No.2 with Alterations. Under the Planning & Compulsory Purchase Act 2004, these policies expire on 27 September 2007. Special permission was required from the Secretary of State to save policies beyond this date. That permission has been granted in respect of 33 of the policies. A reduced version of the written statement to just include those parts which are saved is below.
Following the publication of the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) in March 2012, policies in the Local Plan need to be considered alongside those of the NPPF. Policies which are inconsistent with the NPPF will have less weight applied to them. The Council believes that most policies in the Local Plan remain broadly consistent with the NPPF and therefore still have significant weight in determining applications. There are five particular policies where the Council has identified an inconsistency between the Local Plan and the NPPF:
- Policy 6 on development in rural areas beyond the green belt: the NPPF is more permissive of rural businesses being allowed to grow.
- Policy 25 on the re-use of rural buildings: NPPF effectively contains its own policy on this subject.
- Policy 26 on housing provision: the overall housing target is no longer relevant.
- Policy 29A on affordable housing: since the publication of the the NPPF the Council has been seeking to apply the emerging provisions of Core Policy G from the 2007 Core Strategy Preferred Options Paper. A short discussion paper on this subject was presented to Cabinet in November 2012: Cabinet discussion paper (27KB)
- Policy 36 on employment provision: the policy is broadly consistent with the NPPF, with the notable exception that the NPPF allows for the loss of designated employment land where there is no reasonable prospect of the site being used for the allocated employment use.
The proposals maps are available as pdf files below, or we also have interactive proposals maps .
April 1996 version
The saved sections of the local plan do not include any of the supporting text or justifications for policies. As such, there are likely to be occasions when the original version from April 1996 is useful for reference. An interactive version of this is available on the Planning Portal .
If you prefer, a non-interactive version is below as a PDF:
|Key Diagram||Overview of District||DLP2A Key (8930kb)|
|Sheet A||Baldock and Baldock Town Centre||DLP2A Baldock (7254kb)|
|Sheet B1||Hitchin||DLP2A Hitchin (8214kb)|
|Sheet B2||Hitchin Town Centre||DLP2A Hitchin Town Centre (7371kb)|
|Sheet C1||Letchworth||DLP2A Letchworth (8472kb)|
|Sheet C2||Letchworth Town Centre||DLP2A Letchworth Town Centre (6973kb)|
|Sheet D||Royston and Royston Town Centre||DLP2A Royston (679kb)|
|Sheet E1||Excluded Villages -Ickleford and Little Wymondley||DLP2A Excluded 1 (6253kb)|
|Sheet E2||Excluded Villages -Codicote, Kimpton and Knebworth||DLP2A Excluded 2 (6776kb)|
|Sheet F1||Selected Villages - Great Offley, Holwell, Pirton and Whitwell||DLP2A Selected 1 (416kb)|
|Sheet F2||Selected Villages - Ashwell, Barkway, Barley, Sandon and Therfield||DLP2A Selected 2 (545kb)|
|Sheet 1||Hinxworth area||DLP2A sheet 1 (482kb)|
|Sheet 2||Ashwell area||DLP2A sheet 2 (515kb)|
|Sheet 3||Therfield Heath area||DLP2A sheet 3 (270kb)|
|Sheet 4||South east of Royston and Barley area||DLP2A sheet 4 (308kb)|
|Sheet 5||Radwell and Newnham area||DLP2A sheet 5 (314kb)|
|Sheet 6||Bygrave and Wallington area||DLP2A sheet 6 (290kb)|
|Sheet 7||Sandon, Therfield and Kelshall area||DLP2A sheet 7 (279kb)|
|Sheet 8||Barkway and Reed area||DLP2A sheet 8 (280kb)|
|Sheet 9||Barley and Nuthampstead area||DLP2A sheet 9 (285kb)|
|Sheet 10||Pirton, Little Offley and Hexton area||DLP2A sheet 10 (291kb)|
|Sheet 11||Holwell and Ickleford area||DLP2A sheet 11 (353kb)|
|Sheet 12||Great Wymondley area||DLP2A sheet 12 (325kb)|
|Sheet 13||Weston and Clothall area||DLP2A sheet 13 (374kb)|
|Sheet 14||Rushden area||DLP2A sheet 14 (278kb)|
|Sheet 15||Lilley, Offley and Cockernhoe area||DLP2A sheet 15 (319kb)|
|Sheet 16||Gosmore and Preston area||DLP2A sheet 16 (330kb)|
|Sheet 17||Little Wymondley and Rush Green area||DLP2A sheet 17 (352kb)|
|Sheet 18||Breachwood Green and Kimpton area||DLP2A sheet 18 (350kb)|
|Sheet 19||Codicote and St. Paul's Walden area||DLP2A sheet 19 (369kb)|
|Sheet 20||Knebworth area||DLP2A sheet 20 (372kb)|