Reuse hints and tips
Go to our Christmas tips page for seasonal advice.
The following tips will not only help to reduce your waste but also save you money!
- Use both sides of paper to write on, and reuse wrapping paper.
- Find new uses for items e.g. cut up plastic bottles to make pots for plants.
- Take unwanted items to car boot sales or sell on internet reuse sites.
- When appropriate, repair items such as electrical appliances, clothes, shoes, toys etc.
- Borrow or rent DVDs and books from libraries, colleagues, rental shops rather than buying them.
- Set up a book swap box at work. Alternatively you can use BookCrossing.com .
- Old clothes that are beyond repair can be cut into rags to use around the house for cleaning.
- Keep used plastic take-away containers to use as food storage containers.
- Save old jam jars and use them as paint pots or to keep items such as paper clips etc.
- Why not borrow toys from a toy library?
- Give gifts in reusable bags or boxes.
- Re-use envelopes especially 'jiffy' bags with re-usable envelope labels.
- Why not hold a Clothes Swap or a Give and Take event - where a group of friends or a local community group get together to exchange items such as clothes, books, houseware etc. If you would like some ideas on how to run such an event contact the waste management team on email@example.com or 01462 474000.