Tell us what you think about our site...

Help with a Deposit for Privately Renting

There's a long wait for social housing with housing associations, so most people either privately rent or stay with family and friends.  Make sure you apply online at the Council's website to join the housing register as soon as possible.

If you want to privately rent a property you will normally need to pay a deposit and the first month's rent in advance.  In some cases the Council may be able to arrange a low cost loan to help you with the deposit.  The loan would be arranged through the local Black Squirrel Credi Union.

The amount borrowed is payable directly to the landlord as a deposit.  The tenant makes regular affordable repayments to the credit union.  There are no fees for setting up the loan.  the loan repayments are also used to start your own savings account with the credit union.  Here are some examples of this.

Black Squirrel Credit Union loan repayments (30KB) This document is a PDF file and will open in a new window. You will need Adobe Reader to view it.

In exceptional circumstances, if a loan cannot be arranged for some reason the Council may guarantee a small deposit on a property.

If you are not working or you are on a low income you may be entitled to help with rent through Housing Benefits.  Please contact the Council on 01462 474000for further information on Housing Benefits.

For further information and advice about privately renting a property, please contact contact our Housing Options team on 01462 474000 or at if you are interested in applying for the scheme.