Tell us what you think about our site...

Discretionary Renovation Grants/Loans

If you own a property, which is at least 11 years old, you may be able to get help in the form of a means tested grant/interest free loan to meet all or part of the cost of work to remedy a deficiency or deficiencies from which a category 1 hazard or hazards arise, or in some circumstances for works to meet the Decent Homes Standard.

A hazard is defined as any risk of harm to the health or safety of an actual or potential occupier that arises from a deficiency.

You may also be able to get help if you are a private tenant.

Guidance leaflet on Renovation Grant/Loan (109KB) This document is a PDF file and will open in a new window. You will need Adobe Reader to view it.

Enquiries for very small items of work from older or disabled people may be considered for referral to the Home Improvement Agency, Anchor Staying Put, “Small Repairs Service". For further information on this service please contact Anchor Staying Put - North and Central Hertfordshire on 01707 255710.

If you wish for further information or wish to apply for assistance contact the Private Sector Housing team.

Handy Person Scheme, Papworth Trust Home Solutions, 01279 755905.

If your property is suffering from minor disrepair, requires additional security measures or additional insulation to improve the energy efficiency of the property, Home Repair Assistance is available.

If you or someone living in your property is disabled, Disabled Facilities Grants are available for a range of works needed to help a disabled person to remain living more independently in their home.

Contact Details

Details of how to contact the team can be found on the Housing & Public Protection contact page.