Tell us what you think about our site...

Private Sector Housing

About this service

Anyone who rents or lets housing has a responsibility for the condition of their properties. Local authorities must keep the housing conditions in their area under review and have a duty to take appropriate enforcement action in certain situations.

Additional information is available with regard to the following areas.

Camping site licensing

Caravan site licensing

Drainage problems

Empty properties

Energy conservation in housing

Houses in multiple occupation

Housing conditions in privately rented properties

How do I use this service?

Our approach is to offer advice and assistance to owners, landlords and tenants.

We encourage tenants to report any defects or problems with their accommodation to their landlord or managing agent first but if this does not result in the matter being dealt with satisfactorily, please contact the Housing & Public Protection Service. We aim to make our initial response within 3 working days.

More information and resources

Shelter – the housing and homelessness charity

Central government advice on private renting