Tell us what you think about our site...

Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Licence

Under the Housing Act 2004 all Houses in Multiple occupation with three or more storeys, having five or more people living as more than one household and sharing at least one standard amenity (such as a toilet, bath, washbasin, kitchen etc) are required to be licensed. Not applying for a licence could mean a £20,000 fine. Eugo Logo

There is a requirement to provide the following documentation with any application:

  • Fire safety risk assessment
  • Fit and proper person assessment
  • Property plan
  • Landlord gas safety certificate
  • Electrical safety certificate

The maximum fine for managing an unlicensed House in Multiple Occupation which requires licensing, or for exceeding the permitted number of occupiers, is £20,000. The maximum fine for breaking a licensing condition is £5,000.

Legislation summary

The legislation relating to this licence is Part 2 of the Housing Act 2004, which you can access here.

Apply online

Apply for a house in multiple occupancy licence

Apply by post

Please complete the application form and post to us using the contact details below. You will need to enclose the correct fee and supporting documents.

House in multiple occupancy licence application form (302.88KB) This document is a PDF file and will open in a new window. You will need Adobe Reader to view it.

What does it cost?

You will need to pay a fee for this licence. Please see our Fees and Charges page for details of cost.

What happens next?

We aim to acknowledge your application within 3 working days.

We will consider your application and arrange to visit your premises.

It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 56 calendar days, please contact us online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or using the contact details below.

Licences will be granted if:

  • the house is or can be made suitable for multiple occupation
  • the applicant is a fit and proper person and the most appropriate person to hold the licence
  • the proposed manager has control of the house, and is a fit and proper person to be the manager
  • the management arrangements are satisfactory

What happens if something changes?

Once you have registered with the Council, you need to notify us if there are any changes to the ownership or management of the premises or any significant changes to the building or systems within the building such as the fire alarms

Tell us about a change to your existing house in multiple occupancy licence

Or, write or email us

Public registers

Basic information about the houses in multiple occupation that we licence

More information about the Council’s public register

Applicant/Licence Holder Redress

If your application is

  • Refused, or
  • You disagree with conditions attached to the licence, or
  • after the licence is granted, the licence is subsequently varied or revoked

you can appeal to the Residential Property Tribunal within 28 days of the decision being made.

Alternatively, if you are unhappy about the way that we have dealt with your application, the Council has a formal mechanism for dealing with such issues. Please see our website Comments, Compliments & Complaints or call our Customer Service Team on 01462 474000.

Consumer Complaint

If a licence is granted and you wish to appeal against it being granted you may do so to a  Residential Property Tribunal within 28 days of the decision being made.

North Hertfordshire District Council contact details

This matter is dealt with by the Council’s Environmental Health Commercial Team.

Email us

Tel: 01462 474000

Address: PO Box 480,  M33 0DE

Other useful contacts and other information

British Property Federation (BPF)

National Federation of Property Professionals

Department for Communities and Local Government