Tell us what you think about our site...

Moving into supported housing - Sheltered accommodation

Sheltered housing is specifically for people over 55 years old, who have a support need but wish to retain their independence.  Accommodation is self- contained with some communal facilities such as shared lounge and laundrette.

Sheltered schemes are managed by a resident or mobile warden. Help with cooking, housework or personal care is not provided in most schemes.  This service is only offered in ‘Extra Care Schemes’ of which there are currently five in the district.  If people require additional support, within their home, this can be arranged by Adult Care Services.

In the North Herts area, rented sheltered accommodation is managed by local housing associations including North Hertfordshire Homes (link opens in new window), Howard Cottage Johnny Johnson Trust Springboard and Hanover  Further information can be found on the individual web sites.

If you wish to apply for rented sheltered accommodation please contact 01462 474688, to request a form to join the Common Housing Register.

You may wish to purchase a property within a retirement scheme. The Elderly Accommodation Counsel can advise you on finding a property in this area.  The EAC can be contacted on 020 7820 1343.