Knebworth Langley Lilley
Knebworth (population 4,433*)
Knebworth lies near the southernmost edge of the district, between Stevenage and Welwyn. The most recently developed area has grown into a residential town with shops, schools and other amenities, for which much of the architecture was influenced by Sir Edward Lutyens. He was also responsible for the earlier part of the handsome church of St. Martin which serves this part of Knebworth, the remainder being completed as recently as 1964 by Sir Albert Richardson. A quiet road leads west to Old Knebworth and Knebworth House, one of the great houses of Hertfordshire. Home of the Lytton family for nearly 500 years, the house contains a fine collection of furniture and paintings, and owes much of its internal design to the imagination of Sir Edward Bulmer-Lytton, the novelist. The grounds now form a Country Park with picnic areas and many other facilities which, together with the house, are open to the public, details available from the Estate Office (Telephone: Stevenage 812661). Within the beautiful setting of the park with its lake and fine trees, lies the parish church. The interior, including the Lytton chapel in which many members of the Lytton family are buried, is mainly 1 5th century. The nave roof is original and the solid oak benches date also from the 15th century, whilst the pulpit was made up in the 18th century from 1 6th century Flemish carved panels.
Langley (population 164*)
In wooded country four miles south of Hitchin is the small hamlet of Langley, where another example of the work of Lutyens can be found - a mansion with huge chimneys which was built in 1914.
Lilley (population 374*)
Lilley stands between Hitchin and Luton on the highest ground and within some of the most striking scenery in the district. Telegraph Hill is just over 600 feet above sea level. The church, rebuilt in the 1 9th century, contains some original features and a fine Elizabethan heraldic memorial.