The pandemic has had a huge impact on shops, pubs and restaurants, so we're hitting back with our Shop Safe, Shop Local campaign, funded by the Reopening the High Streets Safely Fund.
Please support the campaign and make a pledge to support your local businesses.
If you do most of your shopping online, could you switch to supporting your local businesses?
By buying your meat from a local butcher or ordering a takeaway from a local café or restaurant, you will provide much-needed support to your local community.
We all love our High Streets but we need to do our bit to support local businesses, otherwise we risk losing them.
Please support local businesses during the pandemic by purchasing local goods and services where you can.
How to shop local safely
- Make a pledge to support local businesses throughout 2021.
- Take a lateral flow test before shopping in town.
- Give yourself a treat and get a take away or enjoy a meal at a local pub, café or restaurant.
- When shopping, abide by the physical distancing signage – remember to keep two metres.
- Wear a face covering in-store at all times.
- Wash your hands and use hand sanitisers if shopping for essential goods.
- Handle as few things as possible, only pick-up what you want to buy.
- Use a card when you’re making a purchase and don’t forget to bring your own bag.
- Avoid crowds and if there’s a queue, call back later.
- Remember, if you have any COVID-19 symptoms you must self-isolate.
Towns in North Herts
An attractive, historic market town. With a high street packed with independent boutiques, coffee shops, restaurants, homeware, jewellers and florists, to high-end fashion, ethical businesses and markets, Hitchin caters to your every need.
For more information visit www.hitchinherts.com
The first garden city in the world, with beautiful tree-lined streets and first-class amenities. Letchworth Garden City has a fine mix of independent stores, national chains and top eating places, all within an elegant pedestrian-friendly town centre.
For more information visit: www.loveletchworth.com
Baldock town centre has a strong local identity with its wide high street and many attractive historic buildings within a small area, making it a unique gem of an historic market town. It offers a mix of independent specialist retailers, business and leisure activities.
For more information visit: https://www.baldockeventsforum.org.uk/
A real community spirit and a wealth of amenities make Royston an increasingly popular town. Good shops, a twice-weekly charter market, a state-of-the-art leisure centre, wonderful museum, art gallery, the award-winning Priory Gardens, and Therfield Heath is the perfect place for a stroll.
About the project
The RHSS NHDC project is receiving up to £118,251 of funding from the England European Regional Development Fund as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020.
The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (and in London the intermediate body Greater London Authority) is the Managing Authority for European Regional Development Fund. Established by the European Union, the European Regional Development Fund helps local areas stimulate their economic development by investing in projects which will support innovation, businesses, create jobs and local community regenerations.