Skip to main content

High hedges

If you want to complain about a neighbour's high hedge, try to resolve the matter amicably with them first before involving the council and making a formal complaint.

Advice on resolving disputes with a neighbour is available from GOV.UK.

If this fails, a complaint can be made using the form below.

A charge of £677.00 is payable.

Advice and guidance

The following guides provide advice and information on problems with high hedges:

  • Over the garden hedge - advises on appropriate hedge boundary treatment and agreement with your neighbour
  • High Hedges: complaining to the Council - advises on the various processes and stages that complainants and hedge owners will have to encounter in any eventual dealings with the Council
  • Hedge height and light loss - assists in assessing whether an evergreen hedge is blocking too much daylight and sunlight to neighbouring properties

They are also available from the Customer Service Centre at the Council offices and at local libraries.