To mark Holocaust Memorial Day (HMD) on Wednesday 27 January 2021, NHDC will be holding a virtual event at 11:00am.
The event can be viewed on the NHDC YouTube channel.
The theme of HMD 2021 is ‘Be the light in the darkness’.
Be the light in the darkness is an affirmation and a call to action for everyone marking HMD. This theme asks us to consider different kinds of ‘darkness’, for example, identity-based persecution, misinformation, denial of justice; and different ways of ‘being the light’, for example, resistance, acts of solidarity, rescue and illuminating mistruths.
The Community Engagement Team have put together the following plan for the virtual event:
- Chair of NHDC, Cllr Terry Tyler will provide an opening address.
- Rabbi Alan Garber from Shenley United Synagogue will lead the event.
- Representatives from North Herts Interfaith Forum will share a few words on what the theme means to them.
- There will be a minute's silence observed during which time the winning poster entry will be displayed.
- Yanky Fachler, a person who has connections to Jewish families who came to Letchworth Garden City (LGC) before and after the second world war, will share his stories.
- A video will be shown about Ivor Perl BEM, a Holocaust survivor who was taken to Auschwitz aged 12.
- We will hear the two winning poetry entries.
- Letchworth's Poet in Residence at David's Bookshop John Gohorry will read a specially written poem.
- Cllr Judi Billing will offer some concluding thoughts and Rabbi Alan will contribute the closing sentiment/prayer.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.