To mark Holocaust Memorial Day (HMD) on Wednesday 27 January 2021, NHDC will be holding a virtual service at 11:00am.
The theme of HMD 2021 is ‘Be the light in the darkness’.
Be the light in the darkness is an affirmation and a call to action for everyone marking HMD. This theme asks us to consider different kinds of ‘darkness’, for example, identity-based persecution, misinformation, denial of justice; and different ways of ‘being the light’, for example, resistance, acts of solidarity, rescue and illuminating mistruths.
The Community Engagement team have put together the following plan for the virtual service:
- Chair of NHDC, Cllr Terry Tyler will provide an opening address.
- Rabbi Alan Garber from Shenley United Synagogue will lead the service.
- Representatives from North Herts Interfaith Forum will share a few words on what the theme means to them.
- Yanky Fachler, a gentleman who has connections to Jewish families who came to Letchworth Garden City (LGC) before and after the second world war will share his stories.
- A video will be shown about Ivor Perl BEM, a Holocaust survivor who was taken to Auschwitz aged 12.
- Cllr Judi Billing will offer some concluding thoughts and Rabbi Alan will contribute the closing sentiment/prayer.
Alongside the event, we will be encouraging young people to create a piece of work about this year’s theme. Children aged 5 – 11 have been asked to design a poster, and young people aged 12 -18 have been asked to write a brief piece on their interpretation of ‘Be the light in the darkness’The winning poster and piece of writing will be shared as part of the live service on 27 January.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.