Skip to Microsoft chatbot

Extended Payments

If your entitlement to Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction ends because you start work or increase your hours of work or pay, you may be entitled to an extended payment of benefit for four weeks after your state benefit stops. If you qualify, you will receive the same amount of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction as you did before you started work or changed hours.

You may qualify for an extended payment if:

  • You or your partner started work or self employment or
  • You or your partner have increased your hours of work or wages AND this is expected to last for at least 5 weeks and
  • You or your partner have been entitled to Income Support, JSA (income based), Incapacity Benefit Income related ESA or Severe Disablement Allowance continuously for 26 weeks and
  • You or your partner remain liable for rent and/or Council Tax at the same or new address and
  • You notify the Council or DWP office within 4 weeks of the day the new job, new hours or new rate of pay begins.