Anyone who lives with you who is over 18 and is not your partner, a dependant child, joint tenant or sub-tenant, is called a "non-dependant".
They are expected to help towards your rent/council tax. An amount is taken from your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction – even if you do not get any money from them. The amount deducted depends upon the non-dependant’s age and gross income.
No deduction will be made if:
You or your partner
- Are blind or
- In receipt of Attendance Allowance, or any rate of the Care component of Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
- Is normally resident elsewhere or
- Is a full time student or
- Is in legal custody or
- Has been in hospital for 52 weeks or more or
- Is in receipt of work based training allowance or the claim is for Second Adult Rebate
For non-dependant couples who live together in your home, their incomes are added together and one deduction is made from your benefit.