Skip to Microsoft chatbot

Students and Benefits

If you are a full time student, you can only claim housing benefit if you are:

  • Looking after a child or young person, i.e. receiving child benefit for them
  • Aged 60 or over
  • Disabled and in receipt of disability benefits
  • Receiving Income Support
  • Waiting to return to your course - after illness or after having had to care for someone.
  • Responsible for a foster child

All part time students can claim Housing Benefit. Details and proof of your grant, parent’s contributions and any other income are needed to work out what benefit you may be entitled to.

Students’ partners who are not students themselves may claim benefit for the couple.

Students are normally exempt from the payment of Council Tax and therefore will not be entitled to Council Tax Reduction.

The above rules are for exisiting claimants, any new claims for Housing costs need to be made via Universal Credit


For further information contact us.