Domestic Abuse Support

Domestic abuse is categorised by any incident or pattern of incidents of coercive, controlling, threatening, degrading, violent or abusive behaviour by a partner, ex-partner or family member over another.  Domestic Abuse can begin at any stage of a relationship and can sometimes continue after a relationship has ended.

Domestic abuse can affect anyone regardless of age, gender identity or reassignment, race, ethnicity or religion, sexual orientation or disability.

If you are in fear of a partner, ex-partner or member of your family, you might be experiencing domestic abuse. Domestic abuse takes many forms, not just physical abuse, for example the perpetrator might often: 

  • make you feel bad about yourself by calling you names, humiliating or criticising you
  • make you afraid by threatening you or your children
  • behave violently towards you
  • stop you seeing friends or family
  • keep you without money
  • force you to do something you really did not want to do 
  • threaten to harm themselves if you seek help or leave.

Where to find support

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic abuse, please do not suffer in silence.

  • In an emergency always call the police on 999
  • Call 101 for non-emergencies
  • or you can make a report online at Hertfordshire Police 

There are a variety of organisations listed below that can offer you support, advice and assistance.

SADA (Survivors Against Domestic Abuse)

We work in partnership with Survivors Against Domestic Abuse (SADA), a local organisation, which provides support and crisis intervention for people experiencing domestic abuse.

The SADA team offers a variety of support for victims, survivors and their families, including direct support, access to legal, financial and housing advice as well as emotional support and can assist with the installation of additional security features within the home. Emergency accommodation is also available.

SADA supports both men and women and their families.

If you would like more information on SADA or to talk to one of their support workers, please contact SADA directly on 01438 242666 or email

Please also see the attached SADA leaflet below.

Other domestic abuse organisations

There are a variety of other organisations, both local and national, that can offer support and advice.

Hertfordshire Sunflower
For information, advice and links to obtain further support and help, visit Hertfordshire Sunflower services.

Hertfordshire Domestic Abuse Helpline
You can contact the Hertfordshire Domestic Abuse Helpline on 08 088 088 088. This confidential, free helpline is available Monday to Friday from 9am -9pm and on Saturday and Sunday from 9am-4pm.

Refuge provides support for women, children and men who are experiencing domestic abuse. Visit Refuge or call the 24 hour National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247 which is free.

Women's Aid
Women's Aid provides information and information for women and children affected by domestic abuse. Visit Women's Aid for further information.

Safer Places
In addition to the provision of support and information, Safer Places also provides refuge accommodation in locations in North Herts for women, children and men feeling domestic abuse. Visit Safer Places for further information or call their helpline on 03301 025811.

Karma Nirvana
Karma Nirvana support for victims of honour-based abuse and forced marriage. The national helpline offers direct support and guidance. Visit or call their helpline on 0800 5999 247 

Men's Advice Line
Men’s Advice Line offers advice and support for men experiencing domestic violence and abuse. Visit or call their helpline free on 0808 801 0327

If you are a tenant of a local authority or housing association, you need to contact your landlord immediately as they will be able to help you.

Help from the Council

If you feel that you would be unsafe remaining at home, you can contact our Housing Options Team through the Housing Assistance Referral Portal or call us on 01462 474000. 

You can ask any Council for homelessness help if you are at risk in your home and can’t stay there because of domestic abuse. Councils have a duty to give you advice and assistance and may be able to provide you with temporary emergency accommodation.

North Hertfordshire District Council works in partnership with SADA to provide support, signposting and crisis intervention for people experiencing domestic abuse.

If you are a woman fleeing domestic violence, we may be able to find you a place at a Women's Refuge. Alternatively, you can access a refuge space yourself by calling the National Domestic Violence Helpline as above.

PDF icon SADA Domestic Abuse Service228.74 KB
PDF icon Domestic abuse support149.6 KB