NHDC's 49 Councillors are entitled to claim allowances for their work as elected representatives. A Councillor's Basic Allowance covers the time devoted by Councillors to their work both in Council meetings, as well as meetings with constituents, site visits, correspondence and telephone calls.
Special Responsibility Allowances are paid to Councillors who hold the following posts designated by the Council:
- Leader of the Council (and Cabinet Chairman)
- Deputy Leader of the Council; Cabinet Executive Members
- Chairman of Overview and Scrutiny Committee
- Chairman of the Finance, Audit and Risk Committee
- Chairman of Planning Control Committee
- Chairmen of Area Committees
- Leaders of the Opposition Political Groups
Councillors are also entitled to claim expenses for travelling, subsistence and an allowance for Childcare and Dependants' Carers. The Members Allowances Schemes are set out below. Previous years' schemes are available on request.
The documents below sets out the net amounts paid to each Councillor. Details of the payments can be inspected during normal office hours by any person whose name appears on the current register of electors. Again, previous years' payments are available on request.
For further information on Councillors' Allowances and previous reports on Allowances and Expenses, contact the Committee & Member Services Team.