Skip to Microsoft chatbot

Comments, Compliments and Complaints

We provide a wide range of services to the people who live, work in and visit North Hertfordshire. Your feedback gives us an opportunity to understand how we can improve as well as recognise where services are valued. 

We have a robust Comments, Compliments and Complaints policy (attached below) and ensure that all staff are familiar with this and are trained to deal with complaints effectively.

What is a Comment, Compliment or a Complaint?


A comment is feedback or a suggestion often relating to an aspect of the services we provide. Comments are usually general in nature and not relating to a specific/individual matter. For example, "I would find it helpful if I could book an appointment". Unless specifically requested, we will not usually reply to a comment but will keep a record of them. However, if a reply or further action is required then this will be actioned within 10 working days.

Click here to make a comment


A compliment is positive recognition or praise for a specific service or individual which is above and beyond a courteous thank you. For example "I would like to praise the member of staff who resolved my problem, they were professional, diligent and kept me informed on progress until they could fully respond to my enquiry. Please could you pass this onto their manager".

Click here to make a compliment


We are committed to 'putting customers first'. However, we accept that occasionally you may be dissatisfied if you feel that we have got things wrong. A complaint could be defined as an issue falling into one of these key areas:

1. If we have failed to do something we should have done
2. If we have performed a service badly or in the wrong way
3. If we have treated a customer badly or unfairly

A summary of the complaints process is shown in the flow chart below:

Click here to make a complaint

To submit your Comment, Compliment or Complaint in writing, please send it to:

Customer Service Centre
Council Offices
Gernon Road
Letchworth Garden City

Local Government Ombudsman

The Local Government Ombudsman is a free service which looks at complaints about councils, investigating complaints of injustice arising from maladministration by Local Government and selected other bodies.

The Local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771
Phone: 0300 061 0614

Report a fault or problem

Here are some examples of how to report specific faults or problems that may occur:

For general assistance contact us here.