Household Canvass

Every year we are required to carry out a Household Canvass to ensure that the electoral register is up to date.

Following the introduction of Individual Elector Registration, the Household Canvass process has changed. From the end of August a form called a 'Household Enquiry Form' will be posted to every household in the North Hertfordshire District Council area. The form will be addressed to 'The Occupier' and will contain the details of those electors we currently have on the electoral register at that address.

You need to confirm or update the details contained on the form - even if you have no changes to make and the information on the form is correct.

No changes

If the information on the form is correct you can confirm the details online. You will need the two security numbers printed on the inside of the form.

You can also:

  • Call 0800 197 9871. This is an automated service, and you will need the two security codes printed on the front or the inside of the form.
  • Text NOCHANGE and your security codes to 80212.
  • Complete the paper form, sign it and return it in the pre paid envelope provided.

You do not need to return the form if you have confirmed the details by phone or text.

If you have not made any changes we will not contact you any further.

Make a Change

If you need to make any changes to the details on the form (e.g. someone has moved in or out of your property) you can make the amendment online. You will need the two security codes printed on the front or the inside of the form.

Alternatively you can make the amendments on the form and return it to us in the envelope provided.

If you have added someone's name to the Household Enquiry Form they will be sent a personal form called an "Invitation to Register" which they need to complete and return before they are added to the electoral register. They can also register to vote online at GOV.UK. They will need to provide their date of birth and National Insurance number.

They can find their National Insurance number in a variety of places including the letter/ card they were sent by HM Revenue and Customs, payslip, student loan application or a letter from the Department of Work and Pensions. If they cannot find their National Insurance number they can re apply for it online at or call 0300 200 3502.

If you have crossed somone's details off your Household Enquiry Form we may have to send an individual letter to that person to complete the removal process. You may either forward this letter to them or return it to Electoral Services as Return to Sender.

If we do not receive a reply to the Household Enquiry Form, we will send a reminder. If you do not reply to any of the forms, an Electoral Registration Canvasser will call at your property to obtain the information required. You are legally required to reply to the forms we have sent to you.