Councillors are elected to the local Council to represent the local community.
The Electoral cycle runs over a four year period. In North Hertfordshire, one third of the council seats are up for election every year over a three year period. In the fourth year of the cycle there are County Council Elections, these are currently scheduled for 2017.
You can become a candidate (someone standing for election) as a member of a political party. Contact details for political parties can be found using the Electoral Commission register of Political Parties.
You can also stand as an Independent (not affiliated to a political party). For further information about standing as an independent candidate contact:
Head of Independent Group
Local Government Association
London SW1P 3HZ
Tel: 02076 643 224
To stand as a candidate at a local election in England you must:
- be at least 18 years old
- be a British Citizen, and eligible Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of any member state of the European Union
AND, meet at least ONE of the following qualifications
- be registered as a local government elector for the local authority area in which you wish to stand; or
- have occupied as owner or tenant any land or other premises in the local authority area during the whole of the 12 months before the day of your nomination; or
- your main or only place of work during the last twelve months has been in the local authority area; or
- you have lived in the local authority area during the whole of the last twelve months
You will not be able to stand as a Candidate if:
- you are employed by the local authority you want to be elected to, or you hold a paid office under the authority (including any joint boards or committees); or
- you are the subject of a bankruptcy restrictions order or interim order
- you have been sentenced to a prison term of three months or more, without the option of a fine, at any time during the five years before polling day
Further information on becoming a Candidate and Nomination forms can be found on the Electoral Commission website.
If you have any queries you may also contact the Electoral Services Manager:
Tel: 01462 474305