Updated: 20 July 2020
The spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) is affecting several council services at the moment. Find out more by selecting a service area:
- Waste and recycling
- Leisure and parks
- Cemeteries and burials
- Public toilets
- Car parking
- North Hertfordshire Museum and Hitchin Town Hall
- Herts Careline
- Council meetings and councillor surgeries
- Planning and building control
- Public transport
Stay up to date by subscribing to email updates and text alerts.
Our Customer Service Centre is currently closed. Please contact us online or call us on 01462 474000 instead.
- Garden waste (brown bin) and food waste collections restarted on Monday 11 May.
- Read the food and garden waste collections FAQs for more information. Further information will be sent to garden waste subscribers in due course.
- Bulky waste collections restarted on Monday 18 May.
- Household Waste Recycling Centres at Letchworth and Royston have reopened for essential visits only.
- Check opening times and what qualifies as an essential visit here.
- Support for litter picking events is temporarily suspended.
- Outdoor pools in Hitchin and Letchworth will unfortunately not reopen this year.
- Leisure centres and indoor pools will reopen on 25 July.
- Playgrounds and splash parks will reopen on 20 July.
- Multi-use games areas and facilities within parks are closed. Courts, pitches and adult gym equipment must not be used.
- Some tennis courts are open for use. These are at:
- Priory Gardens, Royston
- Norton Common, Letchworth
- King George V, Hitchin
- Parks and open spaces are open for exercise, but you must observe social distancing guidance.
- Allotment plots are now available to hire again.
- North Herts district cemeteries are currently open to visitors, however non-essential visits should be avoided.
- Graveside services are still permitted, although attendance at funerals is limited to 10 mourners.
- More information about changes to cemeteries and funerals can be found on the changes to North Hertfordshire district cemeteries service page.
Toilets at Fish Hill in Royston and The Arcade in Hitchin have now reopened. Hand sanitiser units have been installed.
The toilets at Howard Park in Letchworth remain closed for now.
Disabled toilets will still be accessible with radar keys.
- Hertfordshire County Council is making changes to some town centres to better support social distancing. This includes restricting vehicular access and allowing sufficient space to social distance to the centres of Hitchin, Knebworth and Royston. Visitors are encouraged to use council car parks where social distancing measures have been and are being put in place.
- While social distancing markings are in place at the ticket machines, we encourage you to make use our PaybyPhone service to pay for a parking session. This new service launched in March and is cheaper to use than the previous service (it now costs only 6p per transaction).
- The lifts at the Lairage multi-storey car park in Hitchin and Garden Square multi-storey car park in Letchworth which were temporarily taken out of service will be reinstated from 15 June in accordance with the government’s guidance on social distancing measures.
- Our priority for parking enforcement will continue to be on issues of safety, maintaining access for emergency and refuse vehicles, and access for our most vulnerable residents (e.g. parking on double yellow lines, in loading bays or parking in disabled bays without a blue badge).
- We will also now start prioritising the enforcement of resident permit parking areas and single yellow lines in residential areas as the lockdown eases and people are able to return to work. Please be considerate to others when parking your vehicles, particularly to ensure that emergency and refuse vehicles can still access your areas and for residents to access their streets and driveways.
- Free parking permits are available for certain key workers and NHS volunteers. These measures will be kept under review along with central government guidance.
- You can apply for season tickets in our long stay car parks and for resident permits or business permits where eligible in controlled parking zones.
- Hitchin Town Hall and North Hertfordshire Museum are closed until further notice.
- You can take a peep inside the museum by subscribing their YouTube video channel.
- Hitchin market reopened on 2 June.
- Baldock market is closed.
- Herts Careline's community alarm and telecare service remains open, taking calls from the emergency 24/7 Control Room.
- Able to support current customers as usual.
- Can take on new customers adhering to social distancing protocols regarding new installations of equipment.
- Council meetings are suspended, however online virtual meetings are being developed and trialled.
- Decisions due to be taken at Committee meetings have either been deferred or decided under delegated authority. More details can be found on our Council and Committee Meetings page.
- Town Talks and councillor surgeries are cancelled.
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or your local ward councillors directly by phone or email.
- Building Control inspections must still be carried out. Hertfordshire Building Control continues to provide a full building control service.
- If you are carrying out building work of a controllable nature, you must ensure compliance with building regulations. You can apply for Building Regulations approval online.