Updated: 14 May 2020
The spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) is affecting several council services at the moment. This page summarises these changes.
Stay up to date by subscribing to email updates and text alerts.
Waste and recycling
- Garden waste (brown bin) and food waste collections restarted on Monday 11 May.
- Read the food and garden waste collections FAQs for more information. Further information will be sent to garden waste subscribers in due course.
- Bulky waste collections will restart from Monday 18 May.
- Household Waste Recycling Centres at Letchworth and Royston have reopened for essential visits only.
- Check opening times and what qualifies as an essential visit here.
- Support for litter picking events is temporarily suspended.
Customer service centre and council offices
- The Customer Service Centre is currently closed.
- Please contact us online or call us on 01462 474000 instead.
Leisure and parks
- Some tennis courts are now open for use. These are at:
- Studlands Rise, Royston
- Priory Gardens, Baldock
- Norton Common, Letchworth
- King George V, Hitchin
- All other playgrounds, multi-use games areas, tennis courts and facilities within parks remain closed. Courts, pitches and adult gym equipment must not be used.
- Allotment plots are now available to hire again.
- Great Ashby District Park car park at Serpentine Close has reopened.
- Parks and open spaces are open for exercise, but you must observe social distancing guidance (stay more than 2 metres from others).
- North Herts Leisure Centre, Royston Leisure Centre and Hitchin Swimming Centre are closed until further notice.
- Fearnhill Sports Centre in Letchworth is closed until September 2020, due to limited staff resilience.
- The opening of our parks' splash pads has been delayed and is being kept under review.
Cemeteries and burials
- North Herts district cemeteries are currently open to visitors, however non-essential visits should be avoided.
- Graveside services are still permitted, although attendance at funerals is limited to 10 mourners.
- More information about changes to cemeteries and funerals can be found on the changes to North Hertfordshire district cemeteries service page.
Public toilets at Howard Park in Letchworth, Fish Hill in Royston and The Arcade in Hitchin are closed.
Disabled toilets will still be accessible with radar keys.
North Hertfordshire Museum and Hitchin Town Hall
- Hitchin Town Hall and North Hertfordshire Museum are closed until further notice.
- You can take a peep inside the museum by subscribing their YouTube video channel.
- Hitchin market is closed.
- Baldock market is closed.
- Herts Careline's community alarm and telecare service remains open, taking calls from the emergency 24/7 Control Room.
- Able to support current customers as usual.
- Can take on new customers adhering to social distancing protocols regarding new installations of equipment.
Council meetings and councillor surgeries
- Council meetings are suspended, however online virtual meetings are being developed and trialled.
- Decisions due to be taken at Committee meetings have either been deferred or decided under delegated authority. More details can be found on our Council and Committee Meetings page.
- Town Talks and councillor surgeries are cancelled.
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or your local ward councillors directly by phone or email.
- The lifts at the Lairage multi-storey car park in Hitchin and Garden Square multi-storey car park in Letchworth will temporarily be taken out of service from Thursday 9 April. This decision has been taken on safety grounds and concerns over the ability to release trapped persons, particularly disabled or vulnerable people in a timely manner, due to potential delays in getting an engineer out during the coronavirus lockdown period.
- Free parking permits are available for key workers and NHS volunteers. Further details can be found on our Coronavirus: parking permits for key workers page.
- During this challenging situation our priority for parking enforcement will be on issues of safety, maintaining access for emergency and refuse vehicles, and access for our most vulnerable residents (e.g. parking on double yellow lines, in loading bays or parking in disabled bays without a blue badge). We understand the instruction to stay at home means more people need to park where there are resident permit schemes, who would not normally be affected. That is why we have decided not to prioritise the enforcement of resident permit/voucher schemes – and single yellow lines in residential areas – until further notice (from 25 March). Please be considerate to others when parking your vehicles, particularly to ensure that emergency and refuse vehicles can still access your areas and for residents to access their streets and driveways.
- These measures will be kept under review along with central government guidance.
Planning and building control
- Building Control inspections must still be carried out. Hertfordshire Building Control continues to provide a full building control service.
- If you are carrying out building work of a controllable nature, you must ensure compliance with building regulations. You can apply for Building Regulations approval online.
- 55 (Letchworth – Stevenage) operating hourly throughout the day
- 97/98 (Hitchin – Stotford/Baldock) each running hourly throughout the day
- 100/101 (Stevenage – Luton) operating hourly throughout the day
- 18 (Royston – Buntingford) Mon – Fri: Normal service; Saturday: not operating
- 44/45 (Stevenage – Luton) Mon – Fri: Saturday service; Saturday: not operating
- 80 (Stevenage – Hitchin) Mon – Fri: Saturday service; Saturday: not operating
- 81/A (Hitchin Town Service) Mon – Fri: Saturday service; Saturday: not operating
- 88 (Hitchin – Luton) Mon – Fri: School Day service; Saturday: not operating
- 89 (Hitchin – Henlow Camp) Mon – Fri: School Day service; Saturday: not operating
- 96/96A (Letchworth Garden City – Arlesey- Stotfold- Letchworth Garden City) Mon – Fri: Saturday service; Saturdays: not operating
- 314 (Welwyn Garden City – Hitchin) Mon – Fri: School Day Service; Saturday: not operating
- 315 (Welwyn Garden City – Kimpton) Not operating
- 9A/9B (Bedford – Hitchin) Mon – Fri: two-hourly; Saturday: two-hourly
- 635 (Hitchin – Watford) Not operating