Report a Noise, Smoke or Other Nuisance

We investigate complaints of noise, smoke, dust, smell, fumes, light and insect nuisance.

The complaint could be:

  • Late night noise from a neighbour's stereo
  • Smoke from persistent garden bonfires
  • Continuous smells from bad farming practices
  • Fumes from a processing plant

  • Excessive dust from a construction site

  • Intrusive light from a neighbour's security light

  • Flies from neighbouring food premises

Noise complaints

Everyone's perception of noise, or unwanted sound, is different. It's not just a question of sound levels in decibels, but of what is acceptable to the average person. What one person considers unacceptable may not seem unreasonable to somebody else.

If you are being disturbed by noise you should first try to have a friendly conversation with the person causing it – they may not be aware that they are causing a problem.

How we can help

If you are unable to resolve the issue, you should contact us to assist you. We have a duty to deal with statutory nuisances, which are defined by the Environmental Protection Act 1990 as "prejudicial to health or a nuisance" – in other words, noise that would be considered a nuisance to the average person, rather than noise of a specific volume.

Recording the nuisance

Most complaints that we receive are about matters that are intermittent. In these cases we will normally ask you to keep a record of all incidents of the nuisance on a diary sheet for 21 days detailing when the issue is affecting you.

It will require you to detail the date, time, duration, and a description of the noise each time it occurs.

For noise-related problems, you can use the Noise App on your smartphone to record samples of the noise and send us these.

Investigation and formal action

Once we have received your diary sheets/noise app recordings, if our investigation confirms that there is a serious problem, this is called a statutory nuisance. We will normally serve a formal warning notice (abatement notice) which is a legal document requiring the person responsible to stop causing the problem.

If the abatement notice is not complied with in the timescale that we have set, we can prosecute the person causing the problem. Depending on the circumstances of the case, we may take default action to remedy the problem, for example by seizing noise making equipment.

This is a criminal investigation and with all such investigations we need evidence to proceed with a formal action.

The person whom the notice has been served on can appeal to the courts if they believe the notice should not have been served.

Report a noise problem to us

Report a noise or other nuisance online

Weekend noise call-out service

The Council operates a Noise Call-Out Service from 1 April to 30 September between 8pm and 3am on Friday and Saturday nights. On the Sunday night of a bank holiday weekend, during the same hours, the service is also provided.

The service is intended to provide a response to problems such as noise from house parties, licensed premises and car/house alarms.

Please contact the call-out service on 0300 777 4129 (calls charged at local rates).

Our aim is to ring callers within one hour and, if the noise complained about is continuing to be a problem, to visit as soon as possible. At busy times, there may be a delay if the duty officer has a number of cases to deal with but we will deal with the issue as soon as we are able to. For us to be able to deal with a complaint, we will need to visit you to witness the disturbance that you are experiencing from within your house before we take any action.

Construction noise

Noise from construction or building works is often unavoidable. However ‘noisy activities’ from such sites should only be undertaken between the following hours (unless there are exceptional reasons for working at other times and appropriate control measures are taken):

  • Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm
  • Saturday: 8am to 1pm

  • Sunday and bank holidays: no work

Bonfires, open fires and wood-burning stoves

There is no specific law that makes it illegal to have a bonfire or prohibits the times they can be lit. However, we will take action if a smoke nuisance from a bonfire is caused. See our leaflet below for more information.

Defra has published a practical guide that aims to reduce the negative environmental and health impacts of using open fires and wood-burning stoves.