Dealing with Disrepair in your Rented House or Flat

If you are a tenant and there is disrepair, defective amenities, or unsafe conditions in the property that you are renting, the Council can help deal with these issues.

Ask your landlord first

You should contact your landlord to report the problem initially and ask them to deal with the issue.

Most landlords will want to remedy problems quickly. You should not be concerned about the landlord reacting negatively about any complaint you make.

The Government introduced new rules in 2015 to stop retaliatory eviction. They allow tenants to make reasonable complaints about the property they are living in to their landlord without fear that they will be evicted as a result.

Report a problem to us

If your landlord does not deal with the issue in a reasonable time period, you can report the problem to us.

We aim to contact you within three working days of receiving your request.

Condensation and mould

For information about controlling condensation and mould, please see the booklet below.

PDF icon Controlling Condensation and Mould2.51 MB