Apply for Housing


To apply for housing in North Hertfordshire, you need to join the Common Housing Register at Home4U.

Apply for Housing at Home4U

The North Hertfordshire Housing Partnership is responsible for operating the Common Housing Register and Choice Based Lettings of social housing throughout North Hertfordshire. The Partnership includes the Council and the largest landlord of affordable housing in the district, settle.

Once you have applied to join the housing register, your application will be reviewed. We will contact you within 4 weeks, when we will ask you to provide further evidence in support of your housing application. You will then have 14 days to supply all the required documents (photocopies only - original documents cannot be returned to you as the documents that you send will be scanned electronically then destroyed - this includes passports, driving licences, birth certificates etc). If you do not send all the required copies within 14 days, your housing application will not be processed.

If you are a tenant of settle, send your photocopied documents to their office. Other applicants should send their documents to NHDC.

If you need help with applying to join the housing register, contact settle on 0330 343 0016. Otherwise contact us on 01462 474000 for advice and assistance.

Medical assessment

If you have medical issues which affect your housing, please complete the medical assessment form below, save and send it complete together with the medical evidence required to

Who can apply

Anyone aged 16 or over is eligible to apply for housing. However, as there is very high demand, many applicants will not have sufficient priority to be offered social housing. However, our Housing Advice / Renting Privately pages give information on alternative options.

If you do not have a local connection to North Hertfordshire, or you don’t have a need for social housing, you are unlikely to be accepted on to the housing register.

The only exceptions are for people aged 55 years or over with a support need, looking for retirement living (sheltered housing). For other types of housing, you need to have a local connection to North Hertfordshire. This means that you:

  • have been continuously resident by choice in the district for the last 12 months; or
  • has been resident by choice, in the district for 3 out of the last 5 years; or
  • are a current or former member of the Regular Forces and the application is made within five years of discharge; or
  • are the bereaved spouse or civil partner of a member of the Regular Forces leaving service family accommodation following the death of their spouse or partner; or
  • have an immediate family member, (this would normally be their mother, father, brother, sister or adult child), resident in the district. Their residence must be by choice and have been so for a minimum of 5 years; or
  • have permanent employment in the district;
  • or are a former asylum seeker who has occupied accommodation provided by NASS in the district; or
  • have another special reason why they need to live in the district

Change of circumstances

Once you are registered on the housing register it is your responsibility to notify North Herts Housing Partnership of any change in your circumstances (e.g. if you have a baby, change your job, move house etc).

If you change address you need to complete a new housing application form with details of your new property.

Please download the form below giving the change of address details, along with photocopied evidence of your new address (e.g. copy of bills showing your name and new address). Please also send a copy of your tenancy agreement if applicable, to the organisation that you originally applied to join the housing register i.e. NHDC or North Hertfordshire Homes.