Housing Advice

Our Housing Options team offers advice and assistance on housing and housing related issues including mortgage and rent arrears, debt problems, disrepair, homelessness and advice on renting privately.

The service is free, impartial and confidential. Interviews will be conducted in private interview rooms. The team are able to offer interpreters and signers and a text phone is also available.

To get in touch, please use our Housing Assistance Referral Portal.

A member of the Housing Options Team will be in contact shortly afterwards.

If you have received a S21 notice from your private landlord, please read our S21 Self Help Pack at the bottom of this page.

There are also leaflets and self help packs available covering:  

  • Being asked to leave the family home (parental eviction)
  • Domestic abuse
  • How to find accommodation
  • Support for young people 

Information about Council Tax and Housing Benefit can be found in the Benefits section of our website. It includes details of how to claim and changes in circumstances. The Money Advice Unit at Hertfordshire County Council also provide useful information about benefits and debt.

Debts or Arrears

Help with debts or arrears is available from:

Citizens Advice North Hertfordshire

National Debtline

StepChange Debt Charity

The Money Advice Trust

Shelter can help with housing, mortgage debt or problems with welfare benefits.

Alternatively, if you think your accommodation is unaffordable and you are worried that you have to leave, please contact the Housing Options Team on 01462 474000 for further advice on options available to you.

Benefits that might increase your income

It is worth checking if you are entitled to benefits such as Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit or Council Tax Benefit. Our Housing Debt Advisor can give information and advice concerning benefit entitlements. Citizens Advice North Hertfordshire can also help check that you are receiving all the benefits to which you are entitled.

HomeSwapper - Home Exchange Service

HomeSwapper is a national scheme has been set up for people who are a housing association or housing co-operative/company tenant, with permanent self-contained accommodation who wish to exchange their home with other tenants.

It is a national organisation which works with Councils and Housing Associations throughout the UK, offering a wide range of services that help people move home. Conditions do apply and you will need your landlord's permission to exchange. If you are interested, please contact your landlord.