Housing conditions in privately rented properties

About this service

Landlords and tenants both have responsibilities towards each other. Amongst other things, tenants have a right to live in a property that is safe and in a good state of repair and also a responsibility to take reasonable care of the property and pay the agreed rent. Landlords have a responsibility to keep their properties safe and free from health hazards.

Local authorities have a duty to deal with serious health hazards. Normally, our approach is to provide advice and guidance in the first instance but we also have enforcement powers that we can if necessary.

The Housing service is able to assess the condition of housing using a National Health and Safety Rating System, which concentrates on health and safety issues around the home. The purpose of the system is to generate objective information in order to determine necessary enforcement action.

On 1 October 2015 the Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015 came into force, which place a duty on landlords (which include freeholders or leaseholders who have created a tenancy, lease, licence, sub-lease or sub-licence) to provide smoke and carbon monoxide detection, where necessary, within all properties. If the Landlord fails to supply these then the Council will enforce the above Regulations. If a Landlord fails to complete the works under Notice then the Council can require a landlord to pay a penalty charge. Further information on what is required, and the penalty fee can be found below.

How do I use this service?

If you are a tenant and there is disrepair, defective amenities, or unsafe conditions in the property that you are renting, the Council can help deal with these issues.

We encourage tenants to report any defects or problems with their accommodation to their landlord or managing agent first, but if this does not result in the matter being dealt with satisfactorily, please contact the Housing and Public Protection Service. We aim to contact you within three working days.

If you are a landlord or managing agent and want basic information or advice on legal requirements relating to privately rented housing or any other matters, please contact the Housing and Public Protection Service.

Central government guidance on HHSRS