Skip to Microsoft chatbot

Holding an Event

Coronavirus update: before submitting an application, please make sure you have read and considered the current Government guidance about coronavirus

You need to ensure that you have permission to hold your event at your preferred location. This may mean you need to make more than one application to secure approval, as it may be subject to more than one piece of legislation.

If you are unsure who owns the land, please contact us and we will confirm if it is owned by NHDC (North Hertfordshire District Council) or not.

Holding an event on land owned by NHDC

If you plan to hold all or part of your event on land owned by NHDC, you will need to complete a land licence application form:

Apply for a Land Licence

We will confirm if the site is available for your event and advise you of any queries that need answering before the land license is issued. If the land is not owned by us, you should always obtain consent from the land owner. All queries raised by NHDC officers will need to be answered in full before a land licence can be issued.

Banners on land owned by NHDC

If you wish to install a banner on land owned by NHDC to advertise your event you will need to submit an application:

Apply to install a banner

Event charges 2019/2020

Use of NHDC land for major events such as travelling fairs and circuses is subject to a charge.

  • Pull on day - Free
  • Following day - Free
  • Remaining days - £476
  • Sundays when not operating - £236


  1. Hire rates shown typically apply to travelling fairs and circuses
  2. Minimum hire bond for fairs and circuses: £1000.00
  3. Hire charges may be applied to other profit making / fee charging events
  4. Hire charges may be applied to Community focussed events

Other profit making or fee charging events and activities of a smaller nature may also be charged at the discretion of the Council. Charges will be based on those for the larger events as appropriate for the nature, duration and frequency.

A land license will not be issued until all other criteria have been met. This includes (but is not limited to) the issuing of a premises license under the Licensing Act 2003; insurance cover; risk assessments; and approval from other authorities such as the Police.