Coronavirus update: before submitting an application, please make sure you have read and considered the current Government guidance about coronavirus.
Event requiring a diversion or closure of a road or footpath
If you would like to close a highway/road for an event, you need to apply for a formal closure. Depending on the event, you will either need to apply to us for Town Police Clauses Act 1847 (TPCA) road closures, or to Hertfordshire County Council for TTRO road closures.
Town Police Clauses Act 1847 (TPCA) for Public Processions
We administer the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 (TPCA). A road closure under this Act is limited to short term closures due to parades, public processions, rejoicing or illuminations (it is not suitable for structures on the highway). This might include events such as St George's Day parades, Armed Forces Day ,Remembrance Sunday and VE Day.
You will need to provide details of how you will manage social distancing.
All other events
Hertfordshire County Council (HCC) administer applications for all other types of closures that will require a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO), ranging from major events such as music festivals to small street parties.
Advice on the availability of the road(s) you seek to close can be obtained from Hertfordshire County Council via firstname.lastname@example.org
Advice on event and highway safety can be obtained from Hertfordshire Constabulary via Katie.email@example.com
All applications must be submitted not less than 3 months before the event, together with supporting documentation, including:
- A plan that identifies the location and extent of the proposed closure
- A detailed plan of your traffic management arrangements, showing how the road closure will be managed by a suitably qualified Traffic Management Company, including diversion route (except at cul de sacs), with contact details of your traffic management provider
- A copy of a valid certificate of insurance providing not less than £10 million pounds public liability cover
- A copy of written approval from Hertfordshire County Council
- A copy of correspondence from Hertfordshire Constabulary.
The cost of a TPCA is £27. Payments can be made online (click pay online) or by cheque (please write the event name on the back of the cheque).
Amending a road closure
The legislation for a TPCA (Town Police Clauses Act 1847) does not allow for amendments to be made to a road closure once the Orders have been sealed. Should an amendment be requested, a new application and payment will need to be made.
A guide to organising a street party can can be found on the GOV.UK website.
Further information can be found on the Hertfordshire County Council's Street parties page.