Coronavirus guidance: face masks
Guidance on the wearing of face masks has been issued by the government.
Safeguarding awareness training
All drivers and operators are now required to attend safeguarding awareness training as part of the driver badge grant and renewal process.
For the current training fee please refer to the Licensing Fees and Charges, payable prior to booking. Payment can be made using the online payment system. There are no face to face appointments, but you must complete the course.
Drivers may attend a course 3 months in advance of the badge expiry date.
Failure to complete the course will result in the badge renewal not being completed.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for course materials once you have paid. You must fill out the questionnaire and send this back to the Licensing team.
The Council hosts a quarterly taxi forum with representatives from local taxi companies including private hire and taxi drivers. Details of agendas and previous minutes can be found on the Taxi Forum Agendas and Minutes page.
Vehicle compliance testing
Vehicle compliance testing takes place on two Wednesdays per month.
Please ensure that licensed vehicles are booked in advance of plate expiry during the month the plate ends.
The Compliance Tests currently take place on the top floor (or in cold/icy/wet weather the floor below) of Letchworth Multi-Story Car Park. If you believe your vehicle may not be able to enter the car park due to its size, please email the licensing team to arrange an alternative location.
If you are unable to attend the given date or time, please email us.
Wheelchair accessible vehicle update
We are working towards 10% of our taxi vehicle fleet being wheelchair accessible.
At this time new taxi plate applications must be for wheelchair accessible vehicles.
Please do not submit applications now, as there is no waiting list available to pre-register for a non-WAV licence.
When the target of 10% has been reached the following process will occur:
- A notice will be published on this page that the Council are accepting Saloons (none wheelchair accessible vehicles)
- All existing drivers will receive an email with a link to the website notice at the same time.
- It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure we have an up to date email address. We will accept no responsibility for claims made that a driver did not receive an email and has been disadvantaged.
- Applicants must complete an application for a new vehicle specifying the vehicle details and that they are the registered keeper. Applications will not be accepted if the driver does not own the vehicle.
- Applicants must make payment for the plate at the time of application.
Plates will be granted on a first come first served basis, for fully completed applications.
School transport contracts
For further information and advice please contact Hertfordshire County Council.