Permission to park – known as a dispensation – can be granted to undertake planned works at premises adjacent to parking restrictions, in restricted zones or in residential parking zones. A dispensation will only be granted where it is essential that the vehicle is parked close to the property in order to carry out works, and the impact on other road users, businesses or pedestrians, is kept to a minimum.
A dispensation notice will allow extended parking in permit holder bays, pay and display, and limited waiting bays at or near the place of works. In extenuating circumstances if it is essential that the vehicle is left on-street close to a property in order to carry out a particular job, permission may be granted to wait on single yellow lines, loading bays or in zoned areas, e.g. pedestrian zones, but only if no other parking or waiting alternatives nearby could be used, and it is safe to do so.
A dispensation does not permit general parking. It does not allow the vehicle to remain in the restricted or prohibited area once the dispensation purpose has been fulfilled.
How to apply
All applications must be made in writing by completing the application form (below) and returning with payment to the Parking Services Manager.
An administration charge covering a seven day period of £25.00 per vehicle per dispensation is to be made except in respect of funerals for which no charges are made.
If you are paying by credit or debit card you should indicate this on the form and you may email it to email@example.com or send it to the address below. We will contact you to take payment.
Cheques and postal orders are to be made payable to North Hertfordshire District Council and should be sent with the your completed application to:
North Hertfordshire District Council
Letchworth Garden City
Same day dispensations cannot be issued.
Applications must be received at least two working days before the required date to enable the Council to inspect the site if felt necessary before approval is given. On receipt, the application will be considered and if approved a Dispensation will be issued which must be clearly displayed on the vehicle windscreen.
Dispensations may be issued for:
- Furniture removals
- Building / maintenance / repair works where close proximity to the site is essential
- Goods deliveries in respect of which it is reasonable to allow longer than that normally permitted by the regulations
- The hearse and chief mourners’ vehicles at funerals
- The bridal and attendants’ vehicles at weddings
- Vehicles essential to filming operations
- Other circumstances in which the Council may reasonably regard the requirement to be essential
Existing Exemptions for Contractors on Emergency Call Outs
In emergency repair situations for gas, water or sewerage leaks, glazing repairs or mains electrical repairs you must display on the dashboard a notice on business headed paper stating where you are working and your contact details. Statutory undertakers and utility company vehicles parked within the works area are also exempt from requiring dispensations for the duration of the works.
Dispensation Conditions of Issue
- Failure to comply with these conditions will lead to the withdrawal of the Dispensation.
- This is not a general dispensation and is only issued in respect of the vehicle, periods and purposes shown.
- Materials or goods must not be deposited on the footway or carriageway (except to the immediate rear of the vehicle); nor shall they be passed across any part of the footway or carriageway in any manner which may interfere with the safety of pedestrians and / or of other vehicles.
- The Dispensation does not permit general parking at the location stated. The motorist must move the vehicle elsewhere and within the regulations once the purpose stated has been accomplished.
- The applicant / driver must display clearly a telephone number and / or address at which he / she can be contacted immediately.
- The Applicant / driver must move the vehicle if so directed by a Police Officer or a Parking Attendant authorised by the Council.
- The applicant / driver must park safely at all times and not obstruct access to side roads and / or adjacent premises.