Clinical Waste is any waste which poses a threat of infection to humans. The term also includes items such as surgical waste, used syringes, drugs or other pharmaceutical products.
Clinical waste can include:
- Human tissue
- Blood or other bodily fluids
- Drugs or other pharmaceutical products
- Swabs or dressings
- Syringes, needles or other sharp instruments
There are two different types of clinical waste:
Hazardous Clinical Waste: this is collected separately from your normal waste in specially provided sharps boxes or yellow sacks. Collections are provided free of charge and the frequency of collections is suited to each case. Waste is typically identified as hazardous if it is infectious (if the waste originates from someone with an infection) or if it is a needle or other sharp instrument.
Non-hazardous clinical waste can be disposed of in your normal refuse bin. This is usually the case with items such as sanitary towels, nappies and incontinence pads. To reduce any chance of leakage and odours it is suggested that non-hazardous clinical waste is double wrapped.
Anyone requiring a clinical waste collection will be asked to complete and return a form so we can assess the most appropriate way of handling your waste. Your healthcare professional can help advise you whether the waste you produce is hazardous or non hazardous. You can download the form at the bottom of this page and return to:
North Hertfordshire District Council
Letchworth Garden City
For further advice, to request a clinical waste form by post or to request a temporary clinical waste collection please contact Veolia, our contractor, on 0800 328 6023.
- For users of the clinical waste service containers/sacks must be left at the boundary of your property for collection by 7am on day of collection.
- We do not provide a clinical waste service for commercial properties.
- If residents are treated in their home by a community nurse or a member of the NHS, any waste produced as a result is considered to be the healthcare professional’s waste and should be removed and disposed of by them.