Subsidised home compost bins
The Hertfordshire WasteAware Partnership provides home compost bins to Hertfordshire residents at subsidised prices. To order a compost bin call 0844 571 4444 or visit www.herts.getcomposting.com
- fruit and vegetable peelings
- cardboard egg boxes
- grass cuttings
- hedge trimmings
- rotten fruit and vegetables
- shredded paper
...and keep these out
- meat (place in your brown bin)
- dairy products (place in your brown bin)
- plate scrapings (place in your brown bin)
- diseased plants (place in your brown bin)
- cooked foods (place in your brown bin)
- glass (place in your grey mixed recycling bin)
- metals (place tins, cans and aerosols in your grey mixed recycling bin)
- animal litter (place in your purple refuse bin)
What are the benefits of home composting?
- Saving money - no need to buy compost again!
- Protecting the environment by reducing waste going to landfill. Organic waste produces methane at landfill sites, which contributes to climate change. Home compost also replaces peat products, which are dug from important ecological sites.
- Providing an excellent soil conditioner, adding organic matter and nutrients to improve poor soils.
- Helping maintain healthy plant growth, suppressing plant diseases and pests while improving the microbial and worm population of the soil.
If you have no bare soil to place a composter on, why not get a wormery? It is a great way to involve your children in composting as they love to look at the worms chomping through the fruit and vegetable peelings!
For further information please visit the wormeries page on www.herts.getcomposting.com