Following the elections in May, when a third of our seats (18) were contested, changes to the council’s cabinet were announced last night (26 May) at the council’s annual general meeting.
North Herts Council is to remain a joint Labour and Cooperative and Liberal Democrat administration, with Cllr Elizabeth Dennis-Harburg (Labour and Cooperative) continuing as Leader of the Council. Liberal Democrat Group Leader, Cllr Ruth Brown, is also continuing as Deputy Leader of the Council.
The post of Leader is elected by all members of the council. The Leader chairs all meetings of the council’s cabinet and leads on policy development and implementation. The cabinet positions are now:
- Cllr Elizabeth Dennis-Harburg – Leader of the Council
- Cllr Ruth Brown – Executive member for Planning & Transport (and Deputy Leader)
- Cllr Ian Albert – Executive Member for Finance & IT
- Cllr Judi Billing – Executive Member for Community Engagement
- Cllr Keith Hoskins – Executive Member for Enterprise & Arts
- Cllr Amy Allen – Executive Member for Recycling & Waste
- Cllr Steve Jarvis – Executive Member for Environment & Leisure
- Cllr Sean Prendergast – Executive Member for Housing & Environmental Health
In addition to the cabinet roles, the new Chair of the Council is Cllr Sam North and Vice-Chair is Cllr Daniel Allen.
Cllr Elizabeth Dennis-Harburg, Leader of North Herts Council, said: “I am grateful to the people of North Herts for their overwhelming vote of confidence in the work of the joint administration, and look forward to our continued partnership this year and delivering on our priorities. We will put our people at the heart of everything we do, delivering a sustainable North Herts and building our shared future. We have a fantastic team of new councillors, from diverse backgrounds, dedicated to championing our community.”
The deputy cabinet is:
- Cllr Ruth Brown – Deputy Leader of the Council
- Cllr Ian Mantle – Deputy Executive member for Planning & Transport
- Cllr Sam North – Deputy Executive Member for Finance & IT
- Cllr Chris Lucas – Deputy Executive Member for Community Engagement
- Cllr Thomas Plater – Deputy Executive Member for Enterprise & Arts
- Cllr Tom Tyson – Deputy Executive Member for Recycling & Waste
- Cllr James Denselow – Deputy Executive Member for Environment & Leisure
- Cllr Alistair Willoughby – Deputy Executive Member for Housing & Environmental Health
Cllr Ruth Brown, Deputy Leader of North Herts Council, added: “I feel privileged to be given the opportunity to continue working with Labour and Liberal Democrat colleagues, to provide the best possible local services, in a challenging economic environment. At a time when trust in politicians is at an all-time low, we are seeking to listen to residents and develop meaningful partnerships with local businesses and community organisations. We aim to model a collaborative way of working, that delivers a more sustainable and brighter future for everyone in our community.”
Find out more about the composition of the council, who your local councillors are and meetings: Your council