Following the elections in May, when a third of our seats (16) were contested, changes to the council’s cabinet were announced last night (25 May) at the council’s annual general meeting.
With 19 Labour and Co-operative seats, 15 Liberal Democrat seats and 15 Conservative seats, there is no overall control of the council and so North Herts will remain a joint Labour and Cooperative and Liberal Democrat administration. Cllr Elizabeth Dennis (Labour and Cooperative) will continue as Leader of the Council, with Liberal Democrat Group Leader, Cllr Ruth Brown, continuing as Deputy Leader.
The post of Leader is elected by all members of the council every four years. The Leader chairs all meetings of the council’s cabinet and leads on policy development and implementation.
The cabinet positions are now:
- Cllr Elizabeth Dennis – Leader of the Council
- Cllr Ruth Brown – Executive member for Planning & Transport (and Deputy Leader)
- Cllr Ian Albert – Executive Member for Finance & IT
- Cllr Alistair Willoughby – Executive Member for Communities & Partnerships
- Cllr Keith Hoskins – Executive Member for Enterprise & Arts
- Cllr Amy Allen – Executive Member for Recycling & Waste Management
- Cllr Steve Jarvis – Executive Member for Environment & Leisure
- Cllr Sean Prendergast – Executive Member for Housing & Environmental Health
In addition to the cabinet roles, the new Chair of the Council is Cllr Daniel Allen and Vice-Chair is Cllr Chris Lucas.
Cllr Elizabeth Dennis, Leader of North Herts Council, said: “I am grateful to the people of North Herts for their overwhelming vote of confidence in the work of the joint administration, and look forward to our continued partnership this year. We have a fantastic team of new councillors from diverse backgrounds dedicated to championing our communities.
“We will continue working with you, putting people at the heart of everything we do as we move towards a sustainable brighter future together.”
The deputy cabinet is:
- Cllr Ian Mantle – Deputy Executive member for Planning & Transport
- Cllr Matt Barnes – Deputy Executive Member for Finance & IT
- Cllr Dominic Griffiths – Deputy Executive Member for Communities & Partnerships
- Cllr Tamsin Thomas – Deputy Executive Member for Enterprise & Arts
- Cllr Tom Tyson – Deputy Executive Member for Recycling & Waste Management
- Cllr Mick Debenham – Deputy Executive Member for Environment & Leisure
Cllr Ruth Brown, Deputy Leader of North Herts Council, added: “I feel privileged to be given the opportunity to continue working with Labour and Liberal Democrat colleagues, to provide the best possible local services. We will continue to listen to residents and develop meaningful partnerships with local businesses and community organisations, for a better future for us all.”
More information about the composition of the council, who your local councillors are and council meetings: Your council
Get the latest news by email
You can subscribe to get news and service updates by email. It's free, you can choose which topics you’re interested in and you can unsubscribe at any time.