Oughtonhead Common is a Local Nature Reserve with a wide variety of wildlife habitats. Walk alongside the River Oughton which flows through the common and explore the different footpaths throughout the site, doing a bit of wildlife spotting as you go.
Features and activities
- Country walks
- English Longhorn Cattle graze on the meadow area
- Wildlife spotting
- Football pitch adjacent to Swinburne Avenue
- Good for dog walking – please keep dogs under control
- Disabled Access
- Nearest bus stops are located on Burford Way and Bedford Road
- Car parking is available at Swinburne Avenue Playing Fields
Greenspace Action Plan
The Countryside Management Service is currently developing a new five year Greenspace Action Plan for Oughtonhead Common in Hitchin, on behalf of North Herts Council. Below is the briefing document and further engagement on a draft plan will take place in early 2022. We welcome your comments on the proposed objectives and on the future management of Oughtonhead Common.
Please return your comments using the email address below by Sunday 28 November at the latest.
Burford Way, Hitchin