Skip to main content

Safeguarding and protecting adults

If you're worried about an adult, you can tell Hertfordshire County Council (HCC) about: 

  • general concerns regarding a care home or other care services
  • concerns that an adult cannot look after themselves
  • concerns that an adult is being abused or neglected.

Report a concern

Even if you're not 100% sure or do not have all the details, call 0300 123 4042, day or night to report any concerns to HCC.  

If the individual is in danger and needs immediate protection you should always call the police on 999.

For more information please go to the Hertfordshire Safeguarding Adults Board website.

Information for professionals

All safeguarding concerns should be directed to HCC using the contact details above. North Herts Council are not able to accept safeguarding referrals and do not have responsibility for investigating safeguarding concerns.

If you do have a safeguarding query related to the practices or procedures at North Herts Council and would like to speak to someone, please contact

We adopted a new Safeguarding Adults policy in 2022 which can be found below.