Skip to main content

Council Tax: liability orders and court summons

If you have still not paid your council tax after receiving reminder notices from us, then we may ask a Magistrates’ Court for a ‘liability order’.

A liability order can be issued if the court decides you are responsible for paying and you have not paid your council tax in full.

Once a liability order has been granted, and you do not contact us, or we cannot agree how you will pay, the following recovery action may be taken to recover the debt:

  • Deductions from your Universal Credit, Employment Support Allowance, Income Support, and Job Seekers Allowance or from your earnings.
  • Asking Enforcement Agents to collect the debt
  • Begin bankruptcy proceedings
  • Apply to the County Court for a charging order on your property that enables us to force its sale and repay your Council Tax out of the proceeds of any future sale.

If you do not pay we can return to court. The court may decide to send you to prison, order you to pay, or tell us to write off part or all of the debt.

If you are unable or do not wish to attend court, you should speak to us. We will try to come to a reasonable arrangement with you for payment, but we cannot do that unless you contact us.

You can also contact us by email at