Remembrance Day parades and services in North Hertfordshire
This year Remembrance Sunday falls on the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War. Services and parades will be happening across the district. Please find details below for Remembrance Day services and parades in North Hertfordshire:
- 10.00am Remembrance Service at United Reformed Church
10.45am Service at Ashwell War Memorial
5.00pm Service of music and readings on Remembrance Sunday – St Marys Church, Ashwell
- 10.30am The High Street on parade
- 11.00am Wreath Laying – War memorial short service
- 10.45am Royal British Legion, scouts and residents to meet at War Memorial for service at 10.45am. After the service a procession will go down the High Street into Church Walk and be at the Church for approx 11.25am.
- 10.50am Remembrance Service at the War Memorial in Barley
- 10.30am Service of Remembrance at Breachwood Green Baptist Church
- 10.45am Remembrance Day service followed by parade at the War Memorial leading to St Giles Church. Service then continues at the Church.
- 10.45am Remembrance Service, St Mary's Church
- 1.45pm Parade – Sets off at 2pm from the Town Hall, Brand Street, into High Street then Market Square round to St. Mary’s Church where the Service will start at 2.30pm.
2.30pm Service of Remembrance at St Mary’s
3.00- 3.30pm Wreath Laying - War Memorial will be after the Church Service
- 9.30am Remembrance Day Communion Service, St Katharine’s Church
10.30am Commemorative tree planting ceremony, Ickleford Burial Ground, Chambers Lane
10.40am Parade – from the Burial Ground to Upper Green
- 11.00am Armistice Day Commemorations Upper Green Two-minutes’ silence, ‘The Last Post’, wreath laying,readings, poems and prayers, and bell ringing
- 11.30am Peace Party, Roll of Honour and Exhibition of Memorabilia, Ickleford Primary School
- 6.45pm Service of Remembrance, with candle lighting as part of the National Act of Beacon Lighting St Katharine’s Church
- 10.00am Meet at the Village Hall
10.20am Parade to the War Memorial
10.30am Wreath laying at the War Memorial then march to St Peter and Paul Church
10.45am Service commences at the Church. Please arrive early if not parading.
Tea and coffee will be available after the service in Church House. This is walkable from the Church and all attendees are welcome. Please note that Church Lane will be closed for the parade. Parking available in nearby Hitchin Road where there is pedestrian access.
Shining a Light for Our Future
- 6.00pm Torch Lit Procession from St. Peter’s & St. Paul’s Church
- 6.15pm Kimpton Primary School and playground – hot drinks, sing along
- 6.55pm The Last Post
- 7.00pm The Lighting of the Beacon
- 7.05pm Ringing Out for Peace!
- Torch-lit procession – leaving the Church at 6pm, the route, which you may join at any point will be via:Church Lane, The Green, Parkfield Crescent, Dacre Crescent, Claggy Road, Lawn Avenue, Commons Lane, Wren Close, Claggy Corner (cross the road) and along the south side of the High Street to the school.
- 10.50am Remembrance Sunday Service at St Mary’s Church, Kings Walden
- 12.10pm Parade – Lytton Arms at 12.30pm (gather at 12.10)
12.30pm Wreath Laying – Cenotaph, Old Knebworth
- 10.30am Gather at the left of the War Memorial
10.45am Parade – Starts at the police station. Road closure from 10.30am – 12 noon
- 11.05am Wreath Laying - The service is in the town Station Place War Memorial
11.45am Service of Remembrance at St Michael’s straight after the town service
- 10.50am Remembrance Sunday Service at St Peter’s Church, Lilley
- 12.30pm Act of Remembrance, St Mary's Church
- 10.50am Remembrance Sunday Service at St Mary Magdalene Church, Offley
- 10.15am Remembrance Sunday Service at St Mary’s Church followed by a tree planting in the churchyard and a special event in the village hall
- 11.00am Service at War Memorial
- 2.30pm War Memorial Service and laying of wreaths
- 3.30pm Remembrance Service, All Saints Church, Radwell
- 6.20pm Service at the Beacon
- 7.05pm Ringing out for Peace - the church bells will be rung to celebrate the centenary of the end of the First World War
- 9.00am Reed Remembrance Communion in Church
- 3.00pm St Marys Church Armistice Day Concert – The beauty and the sorrow, words and music inspired by World War 1. Ring Reed 848398 to book tickets.
- 10.00 am Gather at Town Hall -Parade – Queens Road through to Melbourne Street arrive 10.35am
10.45 am Wreath Laying – Melbourne Street War Memorial gather at 10.30am
10.45 am Service of Remembrance is held in Melbourne Street, then onto Melbourne Road for dispersal
- 10.15am Dedication service for commemorative stone near the lych gate of All Saints Church followed by All Saints Church Remembrance Service
- 10.15am Remembrance Sunday Service at St Ippolyts Church followed by the Act of Remembrance
St Paul's Walden
- 10.45am Service of traditional remembrance at All Saints Church
- 11.00am Wreath Laying at the Church. Refreshments will be served in the Church annex after the service
- 6.00pm Special service of remembrance at All Saints Church, St Pauls Warden to remember all those who served, sacrificed and sustained life changing injuries in the service of their country during the First World War. Refreshments will be served in the Church annex at the beginning of the evening service.
- 5.00pm Exhibition in Fordham Hall
- 6.30pm Torchlight procession to Hitches Field
- 7.00pm Beacon lighting
- 7.20pm Fireworks display
- 2.45pm Gather at the Bull Public House car park for parade to the War Memorial
- 3.00pm Service at Whitwell War Memorial. Refreshments will be served in the Bull Public House after the memorial service.