Skip to main content

Brexit and beyond

New rules now apply

New rules apply to things like travel and doing business with Europe. Use the Brexit checker on GOV.UK to get a personalised list of actions for you, your business and your family:

UK launches Global Health Insurance Card

On 11 January the Government launched the UK’s new Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). The new card will gradually replace the existing European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) and UK residents will be able to apply for the GHIC from 11 January.

Under Britain’s new agreement with the EU, UK residents’ rights to emergency and medically necessary healthcare will continue when travelling in the EU. This includes medically necessary treatment for a pre-existing or chronic condition.

Current European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) are valid as long as they are in date and people can continue to use these when travelling to the EU.

Business Support Helplines

The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) has set up new helplines to assist UK businesses with enquiries related to the end of the Transition Period.

The Business Support Helpline can help businesses in England identify the actions they need to take - call 0800 998 1098. 

Businesses can also call HMRC’s Customs and International Trade Helpline and speak to an adviser on 0300 322 9434 or get in touch by webchat or by emailing There is also a dedicated online support team for UK exporters

Further support

Information on preparing for exit day for your business, including checklists and FAQs, is also available at:

For regular updates on all things business support, follow @BbfaHerts and @HertsGrowthHub on Twitter.