Skip to main content

Apply for an environmental permit

If an industrial process is required by law to have a Part A (2) or B permit in place, the operating company must make a formal application to us.

The application must contain detailed information on exactly what will be undertaken at the site and the effects it may have on air quality. It must be accompanied by the relevant fee.

Regulation summary

The primary legislation dealing with environmental permitting (EP) is the Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999.

The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010 set out the detailed legal requirements relating to the EP regime.

An overview of the legal requirements can be found at GOV.UK.

How to apply

Applications must be made on the form below or online, but we recommend that you contact us in the first instance to discuss your application, as this may help with the process and will ensure that we are prepared for the application.

To make an application by post, please contact the Environmental Protection Team for an application form and then return this to us with the appropriate fee and any supporting documentation.

If further information is required, we will notify you and you must provide this information or the application will be deemed to be withdrawn.

For waste operations, no licence will be granted unless any required planning permission has been granted.


Fees for environmental permits are set by the government.

What happens next?

We aim to acknowledge your application within three working days.

We will consider your application and if appropriate, may arrange to visit your premises.

The Council will pay regard to the protection of the environment taken as a whole by, in particular, preventing or, where that is not practicable, reducing emissions into the air, water and land.

New applications may have to be advertised in the local press for public consultation and other government bodies such as the Environment Agency or Natural England may be consulted.

It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 105 calendar days, please contact us online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or using the contact details below.

Make a change to a permit

If you make any changes to your business that relate to this permit, you need to tell us so that we can consider if changes to the permit are required.

Tell us about a change to your existing Environmental Permit

Make a subsistence payment

Permit holders are required to make an annual subsistence payment to cover the cost of the regulatory activity.

List of installations

Current list of installations which have permits issued by the Council

Applicant/Permit holder redress

If you are unhappy with the way that we have dealt with your application please contact us to discuss your concerns and we will try to resolve the issues informally. Alternatively, the Council has a formal mechanism for dealing with such issues. Please see our Comments, Compliments & Complaints page or call our Customer Service Team on 01462 474000.

In addition, if your application has been refused or you are unhappy with the conditions that have been imposed, you can appeal to the Secretary of State. You must do so within six months of the decision that we have taken.

Trade Associations