Single Occupier Discount
Apply for a new discount
You can claim 25% off your Bill if you are the only person in your household over the age of 18.
Only use this form if you do not already have this discount. If you are renewing an existing discount please complete the ‘Renew or review an existing Single Occupier Discount' form below.
To complete this form you will need your Council Tax account number (this can be found on the top right hand side of your Bill).
Renew an existing discount
The Council is required by law to maintain accurate Council Tax records. This year’s review of single occupier discount will be managed on our behalf by NEC, using a combination of council data, third party data sources and specialist validation services
If you have received a form asking you to renew or confirm an existing single occupier discount, please complete the form below.
Do not complete this form if you want to make a new application.
Council Tax reduction
If you are living on a low income you can apply for a means-tested reduction.
An adult is 'disregarded' for council tax purposes if they fall into one of the following groups:
- Persons in prison
- The severely mentally impaired
- School or college leavers under 20
- Full time students
- Student nurses
- Youth training trainees
- Hospital patients - or patients in a hospice where they are not likely to return home
- Care workers
- Residents of hostels for the homeless or night shelters.
- Members of religious communities
- Members (and dependants) of visiting forces
- Non-British spouses of students
- Persons with diplomatic privilege
- Carers - this applies if the carer is looking after someone who is in receipt of benefits which include the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP), the middle or higher rate component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or higher rate Attendance Allowance and the person they care for is not their spouse, partner or a child under 18. They must also care for that person for at least 35 hours per week on average. The carer must be resident in the same dwelling as the person receiving the care.
If you believe one of the above applies to an adult within your property, and you wish to apply for a Council Tax Disregard, please contact us on 01462 474000.
Discounts for empty properties
If you own or rent an empty and unfurnished property, you can apply for a local discount. The current discount is 100% for 56 days, then from day 57 full council tax becomes due.
If the property remains unoccupied and unfurnished for two years or more, the council tax will increase to 200%.
The discount applies to the property and not the owner or tenant. So if the property had already been empty when you took over, you will only be able to claim part of the 56 day period, or you may not be entitled to any discount at all.
Discounts if you live in an annex
In certain circumstances you can apply for a 50% discount if you reside in an annex, however there are prescribed conditions that have to be met about the annex and the relationship of the person living there, with the person living in the main dwelling.
The dwelling itself must have the following prescribed conditions:
The dwelling forms part of a single property which includes at least one other dwelling; and
- is being used by a resident of that other dwelling as part of their sole or main residence; or
- is the sole or main residence of a relative of the person who is liable to pay council tax in respect of that other dwelling.
- “single property” means a property which would normally be classed as one dwelling (please check with us how your property is classed)
The person occupying must be related to the person in the main dwelling
A relationship includes those either by blood or marriage, including civil partnerships and step-children.
Fraudulent claims for discounts
You can report a suspected fraud in the following areas: business rates, blue badge, tenancy, housing waiting list, procurement and council tax discount/reduction/exemption fraud.
The Hertfordshire Shared Anti-Fraud Service (SAFS) provides a fraud prevention, detection and investigation service to its partners, working in non-benefit and corporate fraud.