Skip to main content

Appeal against a benefit decision

After you have made your claim for benefit you will receive a decision notice. If you think our decision is incorrect you can ask to do three things:

  1. Ask us to explain our decision.
  2. If you think the decision is wrong, you can ask us to review our decision.
  3. If you are still dissatisfied, you can ask for an independent Tribunal to look at our decision.

If you want us to revise a decision or appeal you must do so within one month of the date of the decision notice or your Council Tax bill.

Your appeal should be in writing, signed by you, and giving us a full explanation of why you think the decision is wrong. 

If you disagree with us regarding your Council Tax Reduction you can contact the Valuation Office.  You can appeal to them regarding our decision about:

  • whether you are entitled to a council tax reduction
  • how much of a reduction the council has awarded you under the local scheme.

They cannot hear appeals about what is in our scheme, only about the way the scheme has been applied in your case.